Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Film Review #20: Lost in Translation

After having heard this movie being praised by my dad and by the Digital Media class I finally sat down and watched...


    And I regret not watching it earlier. The movie is absolutely great as an audiovisual experience: there are beautiful shots of Japanese parks and the city of Tokyo (the opening scene where Murray's character is in a taxi and is mesmerized by the city is really well done), the soundtrack is incredible and fitting, but the film also was incredible in the storytelling department. They made you care for Murray and Johansson's characters' personal stories and their search for who they are and what they want to do. A good variety of people can relate to both characters who are very different: one is an older man in a midlife crisis while the other is a young college graduate in an unhappy marriage. The film explores the themes of loneliness, insomnia and culture shock among others which hit close to home for a lot of viewers and makes them (and me) more emotionally connected to the film. It was great getting to see parts of the Japanese culture in the movie as well considering my interest in it.
    Though I did feel like some of the jumps from one scene to another were a bit rough and confusing, I understood why it was like that, the film is almost two hours long and couldn't have every scene completely fleshed out.

   Overall Lost in Translation was an excellent film that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys great personal stories and relationships. Now I have to rewatch clips on YouTube and listen to the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment